Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Visual Literacy

I really enjoyed these readings because in the past I have used a lot of visuals in the classroom to support my Social Studies content material. These readings provided me with new ideas to implement into my classroom instruction as well as new insight into using technology to promote literacy growth of my students. I created a digital story because I was interested in trying out a new technology that I had yet to experience. I found the process of creating the story pretty easy- although I did struggle a bit with the uploading!

In the past I have used the photographs in my digital story to teach Social Studies lessons. I never thought of it as a type of literacy before these readings. Incorporating technology with my photographs will hopefully further motivate my students in class and push them to do more critical thinking about history.

Enjoy! (Keep in mind this is my first try at this!)


By the way, Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! Happy Read Across America Day!

http://www.nea.org/readacross

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, This is amazing! I love how you took the content of the assigned readings and weaved in your family hi(story). I appreciated this silent digital story so I could read and not be distracted by background music. What a fabulous way for kids to learn about history and what times were like for their ancestors! I imagine students would be really invested in a project like this. Would you consider writing this up for your RWT lesson plan? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete